Saturday, June 13, 2015

Paul Bunyan

retold and illustrated by Steven Kellogg

1985
Ages: 4-8
Genre(s): Traditional/ Folk Tales

     Summary: Paul Bunyan is the largest baby ever born in the state of Maine. So strong and powerful was this youngster that he took down trees before he could even walk. Paul Bunyan was great for the logging business but the neighbors were complaining about the big messes he was making. His parents finally moved him into the wilderness where his play would not be so destructive. Their he raced deer, wrestled bears and rescued a blue ox baby from a huge snow. He named him Babe. The story continues to tell how Paul carved out the Great Lakes and the Grand Canyon and more.

     My reaction: I remembered Paul Bunyan from my younger days but I could not remember many details. Reading this book brought all of that back to me. I again experienced the joy and wonder I felt as a child hearing this story and I know it will be fun to share that wonder with students.

     Activity: After reading Paul Bunyan, discuss with children what makes this story a tall tale or folk tale. Students will then create a modern tale about Paul Bunyan. What kinds of things that we have now could he have created? What if he had the technology that we do now, how would this tall tale be different?

No comments:

Post a Comment